Special Needs Preschool
At AESD, we believe that all of our children are capable of success, no exceptions! We provide a continuum of services for all of our learners from preschool through 8th grade to ensure we are supporting each of our learners to achieve their success.
AESD offers a preschool program for students with disabilities that provides a smaller staff to student ratio than our community education preschool programs. The special needs preschool program is located at Wildflower School. We have AM and PM programs in three different classrooms, which are constructed to meet the needs of each student. If your child in enrolled in our paid preschool program through ACE, your child's IEP team will meet to determine the most appropriate way for your child to receive needed services. Please contact our ESS preschool staff (below) with questions.
We have an amazing preschool evaluation team that works diligently to ensure the very best placement is recommended for each and every one of our amazing students.
If your preschool student has already been identified as in need of special education services and has an IEP, please contact us to schedule an appointment to review your child’s plan.
If your child has not been identified yet, and you are concerned about their development, AESD offers free developmental screenings.
AESD’s screenings are held periodically throughout the school year for children aged two years and nine months to five. The child must live within the AESD boundaries. Click here to view the boundary map.
Screenings take apporximately one hour and are held on Wednesdays from 8 AM to 12 PM. Screenings are by appointment only. Please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- The child and parent /guardian must be present
- The screening begins with a hearing and vision screening. If the child fails or cannot complete either vision or hearing for any reason, they cannot proceed to the full screening until they are evaluated by a medical professional or if the guardian has records of a recent vision and hearing screening that can be submitted to allow the child to proceed with the screening
- All children will be screened in the following areas:
- Communication (Speech)
- Motor skills
- Self help skills
- Social skills
- Intellectual skills
- If your child is found to be below the expected level of typical development based on the screening, they will be referred for a full evaluation by the preschool team to determine if they qualify for preschool special education services
Please contact the SpEd Preschool Supervisor to schedule a screening.2021-2022 School Year:Sept 22Nov 3Dec 15Jan 26Mar 2April 13May 18June 30
SpED Preschool Supervisor
SpEd Preschool Supervisor
ESS Preschool Directory
- Widflower Accelerated Academy
- Wildflower Accelerated Academy
- Wildflower Accelerated Acdemy
- Sandra Aguilar
- Jennifer DeWandler
- Marissa Koenigs
- Mary Lazok
- Kim Levingar
- Rocio Niebla
- Deidra Nuness